StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

We are building a brewery on a concrete deck with 60 psf

Customer Question

we are building a brewery on a concrete deck with 60 psf live load rating. we are placing 4 tanks of 2400 lbs each over a 15' span. What size beam between columns will be sufficient?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.

The live load rating of the existing slab is 60 psf?

Do you know anything about the structure? Is it a one way beam and slab? flat plate? precast? post tensioned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, just a commercial office building about 6 year old. The floor we are on is a slab on columns and beams

What is the size of each tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tanks are 43" diameter by 92" height and hold 7 barrels, but only filling to 6 barrels each. Dead weight is 665 lbs x 186 gallons (6 barrels x 31 gallons per barrel) of wort at 8.8 lbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, 665 lbs + wort

I can provide you with the beam size to carry this load on a 15' span, but you will need to ensure it's compatible with the existing structure. Sometimes adding beams (especially with concrete construction) can change the behavior and cause more harm than good.

You can plan for two W8x18 beams ASTM A992 Gr. 50. They are 8" deep and weigh 18 pounds per foot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a 16" beam there now. we are trying to find out if we need to pour on top of or support from below. We have access and permission to use basement area for column if needed

The loads you have exceed 60 psf. Therefore the prudent thing to do is to add a new beam to support the new load and to bypass the existing structure as much as possible.

The beams were sized to support ONLY the weight of the 4 tanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have not been clear. Structure is existing. We are just setting up tanks on beam and need to know if adding column (or 2) under beam will help, or if we should pour reinforced slab on top of beam, or if we won't be able to use this space.

I understand that. That is why I made the statement above.

Your load is greater than the 60 psf allowable live load.

Is the beam concrete or steel? You can certainly make modifications to use it, but you can't use it as-is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steel I beam. I'd say 8", but that is guessing. Would you recommend adding column below? We are told the footing is wide enough and continuous.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8" X 16"

There is probably no footing below.

Why would they add a footing where one is not needed because a post doesn't exist?