StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a 20' x 40', one level home, with a gable peak roof,

Customer Question

I have a 20' x 40' , one level home, with a gable peak roof, with asphalt shingles, 1/2 plywood and 2 by 4 rafters and WHAT SIZE RIDGE BEAM DO I NEED TO SUPPORT IT IF I remove a 14' and two 10' walls.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to support the existing ridge, by building right below it on top of two added post and add two truss tied in to the bearing walls. This will be a cabin style house with no dividing walls, just foundation bearing walls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What all needs done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please contact me today..
I was hoping to get details to support, the present data that I researched.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I can help. Can I get back to you in an hour?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay..

What exactly do you need? It sounds like you may need a lot of engineering work.

I don't want to accept the phone call until I know what you need. Depending on the level of effort you need, I may need to submit an additional service offer and the phone call offer will preclude that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I explained in writing. Not much engineering, Im just interested in comfirming a project Im considerimg doing, its a 800 sq ft one level home. I want to create a cabin style roof. This roof is a triangle peak. I want to support the existing, ridge beam, with a larger beam supported by post, and ceiling beams tied into the house foundation bearing walls. Using steel bolts and brackets. Plus add a few truss angles to create a support system.If you recommend that I add a ridge beam , built below, or around existing, for a 40 foot run, is a engineered 2" x 91/2" or 2 "x 12" LVL fine for the job, let me know. Plus, I was thinking to build three heavy duty truss and tie all in with brackets and bolt.
Trying to see what cost of supply and labor would be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to begin driving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will send a diagram

You wouldn't use a ridge beam to support an exterior wall as described, so the description doesn't make sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never said, needed a ridge to support a exterior wall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hang, on forget, Im in traffic

Does your wall go up to the ridge currently? Do you want a vaulted ceiling? What is the city and state to I can look at snow loading?

Hello. Do you still need help with this?