StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Building a house. need to know if the beams I have are

Customer Question

building a house. need to know if the beams I have are strong enough for application.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any sketches/plans you can share with me?
You can attach them to the Chat Window with the paperclip on the toolbar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a sketch where I want to replace the bonus room trusses with the five beams. The big beam I have is a W12-58. I believe A-36 and spans 36' 2" inside wall 37' 6' outside. I will use a 6 x6 or 6x8 post to support it. I will select the other beams when I have the calculations of what is needed. The 4 other beams will connect into the large beam ( not sit on it ) The other beams will connect to it at about 10' 4" from each wall . The 4 intersecting beams 20' on one side and 22' 4" on the other. BCI joists will run parallel to the W12-58. This is a bonus room and studs holding the trusses over the 4 beams. I want to address the large beam size and calc. whether it is adequate and and size the additional beams.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Franklin Co. WA. 99343. Will use a angle iron bolted joint on 2 sides of each of the four beams. 8 total to connect to the W12 beam. Brad (###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what states do you have stamp for?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am registered in CA and OH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't really know how all this works. Do I need to stay on this page to get the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when will you be working on this? no hurry just want to know if I need to stay by the commuter to answer any questions you may have. Please show me your calculations.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
After I look at the details of this structure and what you are asking for, I feel this question is far beyond the capabilities of this site.
I will not be able to provide you with the data you need>
I will opt-out and see if the other structural expert on the site may be able to pick up the question.
Sorry.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brad. I can help you with this, but I would like to mention a few things first so you can decide if you would like to continue or not. I won't be able to stamp anything. I can provide the size that you need for the question as-is, or, if you need actual calculations, I can provide detailed calculations as an additional service.
Please let me know which you prefer. I will also have a number of questions for you to be 100% sure we're on the same page with the design intent. It's not very clear from the drawings, since there is no roof plan, but it appears the beams will be supporting the floor space only and not the roof.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need the Calculation I just wanted to be able to verify that the results were correct. The house plans show the bonus room. Original plans were for bonus trusses which I'm not happy with. The roof and snow load will need to be part of Calc for weight. No stamp needed now. I only want to verify beam strength needed.

There are no sections and details showing all of that. How will the roof be supported on these beams? Will there be bearing walls? Posts and beams? I will need all these framing plans to accurately track load to the beams.

Also, I would like to limit it to one beam size per question or I can submit an additional service offer to design the entire beam system as well as look at the posts and footings needed for the beam supports.

Let me know how you prefer to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you tell me what the W12-58 beam 36'2" will support 10 feet from each end (lbs.) and we'll go from there

Sounds good. Will it support any ceramic tile?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

Give me a few minutes to run some numbers

6000 pounds at 10' in from each end will result in deflection of about 1.15", or about L/370). I would not go more than that.

That assumes no other load on the beam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12000 lbs total

correct. Equally distributed between the two points that are 10' from each end of the beam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we done or do you want to tell me what beam sizes will support 3000 lbs @ 20ft equally across the beam?

Do you mind asking that as a separate question?

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.