walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

A SOILS & CONSTRUCTION/ENGINEERING QUESTION: My house is

Customer Question

A SOILS & CONSTRUCTION/ENGINEERING QUESTION: My house is located at the bottom of a mildly sloped driveway (the slope is between 7 and 10 degrees). During the winter it rains a lot and the water runoff pools in front of my garage and house (the driveway
is dirt/crushed rock). Unfortunately, when the curtain drain was installed, it was done improperly as the drain line trench was filled with dirt and rock and the filter cloth surrounding the drain line became clogged with dirt allowing for slow draining of
the water. I have dug u[ the curtain drain in front of the garage but am concerned that the line maybe partially clogged and may be less effective than is should be. I will put in a new fabric filter and 7/8 crushed straight rock in front of and over the drain
line but am considering adding a concrete apron the garage along with a driveway drain system. Can you tell me how to most effectually do this or the beltway to eliminate water from pooling infant of my garage driveways. Thank you for your help.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Your best option, so you only have to do this once, is to install a 4" +/- concrete apron in front of the garage. While you are doing that, install a trench drain system similar to the one I have on the weblink below.

http://www.trenchdrainsupply.com/kit_Mearin_100.asp

On their webpage, there are tabs along the top that give you a lot of specific information on their system.

I hope this helps.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions.