StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a 30x30 steel building with open sides ( pole

Customer Question

I have a 30x30 steel building with open sides ( pole barn).The roof is held up by 12- 10ft. Tall 4x4x .120 galv. Posts. I'd like to put a floor in building and cover the sides. Would the posts be strong enough to hold the 2x8 wood framing for a floor deck? The posts are anchored to the slab. I'd frame to posts and use concrete piers to support the middle sections of framing. I need to raise the floor 24" off slab so plumbing can be installed in building. Thanks for your help
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a sketch of exactly what you want to do? It sounds like what you want to do will effectively double (or more) the loads on the columns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The posts are on the perimeter of building and concrete piers will be spaced around framing

Thank you. I will look at it and get back to you ASAP.

I can check the posts for the additional load, but closing the sides will introduce a lot more wind load that I would not be able to comment on (other than to say you need a full lateral analysis and lateral load resisting system) without doing a full lateral analysis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You never answered the question. It was a yes or no question would the posts support the weight I sent extra info and a sketch still no answer just double talk

I was asking you to confirm you're ok with the limited analysis this question buys or if you wanted the more in depth analysis