StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I'm considering purchasing a house with concrete walls in

Customer Question

I'm considering purchasing a house with concrete walls in California. This is not typical construction for California so I am unsure whether or not to purchase the house. The inner and exterior walls have foam insulation.Surrounding the foam is steel wire mesh. Concrete encloses the mesh. The total width of the wall is approximately 6". The house is located on top of a hill with many trees. What are the pros and cons of purchasing this type of house? How will it hold up in an earthquake?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

The pros are that its very energy efficiency. The con is that it's much heavier and therefore will experience greater seismic forces in a seismic event. As long as the walls were properly designed according to the concrete code and applicable seismic design and detailing requirements you shouldn't have any problems