StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

If i-joists, as part of an engineered joist flooring system

Customer Question

If i-joists, as part of an engineered joist flooring system has been inspected and determined to be bowed in places and with squash blocks missing, is this a significant issue. Is the system compromised? Can it be evaluated? Can it be fixed? If so how?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you. Do you have any pictures you can share?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached photo of page that refers to this. We had home inspection and then a builder looked and felt there was bowing. The sellers and original builder if house feel all is well. Just trying to figure out how big of an issue it might be.

Thank you for the photo. I'm looking at it now.

The squash blocks are important and need to be addressed or you can have a web crippling/buckling failure of the wood I-joist(s). As far as the bowing, all members will deflect under any load, it's just a matter of making sure that the deflection is within limits that are acceptable for the type of floor finish you have. Do you know how much it's deflected and what the span is?