walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am going to place a 40ft 20ft wide single story frame

Customer Question

I am going to place a 40ft long 20ft wide single story frame cabin on a poured concrete basement with the same dimensions. The cabin will be supported by placing 20ft I Beams every 8 feet without any additional supports under the I Beams so there will
be no posts or pillars in the basement. What type or size I Beams do I need?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
1. Is the cabin going to be conventional timber framing or a log cabin?
2. What city and state do you live in for possible snow load?
3. Is there an attic and if so, is there going to be any storage or occupancy in the attic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cabin is actually a double wide trailer with T111 exterior walls and a frame pitched roof. Clarksburg, PA where there is seldom more than 3-5 inches of snow on the ground. there is NO attic. most storage will be in the basement.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
You can use a W8x28 (50 ksi) steel beams spaced at 8’ o.c. for your 20’ spans. The beam is 6.5” wide and 8” deep. It weighs 28 pounds per foot of beam length.
You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections and determine foundation requirements.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks