StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a large glue lam beam across my garage ceiling, about

Customer Question

I have a large glue lam beam across my garage ceiling, about 6 inches wide by 19" deep, rated load of over 1,000 lbs. I want to mount an I Beam on it so I can mount a trolley and hoist. What's the best way to mount the I -Beam to it?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I would bear the I beam on top and be sure to provide a connection detail that prevents rotation over the glulam. This could be stiffeners into the web and lag screws through the bottom flange into the glulam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No can do, I beam can only be mounted UNDER the glue Lam. The glue lam holds up the ceiling, I only have about one inch clearance between the top of the glue lam and the ceiling. I was thinking of some kind of strap system up and around the glue lam, but how do I connect it to the I beam to pull it up tight to the bottom of the glue lam?

You can have tabs welded to the top of the I beam to mate up with a strap (bent steel plate) over the top of the glulam, that would then be welded to the tabs from the I beam.