StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Type Your Question Here...

Customer Question

Type Your Question Here...
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I have home that I purchased. The homeowner removed a load bearing wall 17'9" long. I presently have a lolly column in the center of the wall. I would like to keep the wall open. Would the column suffice, adding more columns? Should I use and LVL or Steel Beam. I also need the specifics so I can present it to the town.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wall is in the center of a 26 ft room that supports two bedrooms. The roof framing trusses

You want a new beam to span the full 17’-9” and need calculations on paper? I can provide the size for this question and I can provide the detailed calculations as an additional service. I will submit the additional service offer for you to consider. If you accept it, I will provide the detailed calculations for bending, shear, and deflection within 3 hours of accepting the offer and providing any additional information I need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening,Can you tell me what you are thinking before I pay for a full report. I just want to make sure it makes sense before it is written up.

In terms of what? The size? It won't be a report; it will be detailed calculations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to make sure the recommendation is not a 2 foot wide lvl in the center of the livingroom with 8ft ceiling.

An LVL will be large. A steel beam will be smaller.

A 7" x 16" 2.0E LVL will just barely work for deflection for a floor without ceramic tile. This assumes you're in a region with snow loads less than 25 psf.

Hello, do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.