StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

The bottom row of blocks (right on top of the footer) in my

Customer Question

The bottom row of blocks (right on top of the footer) in my crawl space are falling apart. Not in solid chunks but the entire face I can see is very soft and wet to the point of being able to remove it with a finger. On some blocks the front has totally fallen off. There are no cracks in the blocks they are simply like a sand and water mixture. I only noticed this when drilling weep holes to correct an on and off water issue. These blocks were laid in 2006.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I can help. I'm driving right now. Can I get back to you when I get home in a couple hours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will probably be in bed by then. Will you be answering to my email?
I'm home now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok not sure how this works. Do you respond via email

Are they CMU blocks? Is the entire block doing that or just the mortar?

That sounds like an extreme case of deterioration that needs to be addressed ASAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mainly just the blocks. There is some mortar missing but very little. I am sure it is water related but I have not found anyone who has seen this before. The actual blocks are like mush in places. Some are better than others. All have about a 3 inch high wet mark but there is not standing water in them due to the weep holes and interior drainage system to a sump pump. Yes they are cmus

They will need to be replaced and the water situation mitigated asap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but should the block do this even with water in this amount of time. Is it bad blocks that the manufacturer should be accoutable for? Also what are the steps to this repair? Jack the house up, fill with concrete, etc

It's a very fast deterioration, but I don't know what they're sitting in. The CMU manufacturer won't be held for any type of warranty if they're sitting in water. If you had a waterproofing system and this happened, you would have a case, but not with them sitting in groundwater below grade.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Is there a specific specialist I should seek for this job

No problem. I'm happy to help. If you want someone to replace the blocks, you'll need a good mason and maybe a contractor to shore the wall, depending how much of the block needs to be removed.

You'll also want to have a waterproofing system installed and a drainage course on the outside of the wall.