StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I'm cutting a 3'w x 5'h hole in a masonry wall fresh air

Customer Question

I'm cutting a 3'w x 5'h hole in a masonry wall for a fresh air louver. Wall is 8" block with pre cast finish. Louver will be just off grade and extend up 5' of a 20' wall. My hole guy will cut the hole and install my lintel but I have to furnish. How do I size?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
I can size it for you. I prefer not to get into an engineering lesson online. Is that reasonable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming this to be a flat plate to go in mortar joint.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a picture of an existing louver in the wall.
Do you have 15' of block above the opening? What is the thickness of the block? Is it grouted? Does it support any other load besides its own self weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to 15'. This a 2 story building with flat roof on top of 2nd floor. Inside the block is standard cinder block. I've attached a photo of the wall section.
Does this wall support the roof? If so, I need to know the length of the roof framing structure supported by the wall and the city and state so I can look at snow loading.
What is the thickness of the veneer block?
What is the thickness of the block backup? Standard doesn’t help without a thickness. It could be 4”, 6”, 8”, 10”, 12”, or more.
I also need to know if the backup block is grouted or hollow or solid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing it must support a portion of the roof. Not sure of the length of roof framing. Inside block looks like 8". Outside veneer looks like 4". Inside is hollow block.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
City is Newport News Virginia.
What is the length of the building perpendicular to the wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks like 75-80'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have to step out...be back in half hour or so
You will need Something more than a plate. It could be a bent plate, but it needs to be wide enough to capture the entire 12” (or more) section of block and veneer and have a moment of inertia greater than 10 in4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what that means
It basically means a simple flat plate won't work. It needs to be a bent plate. What is the thickness of the entire wall? Including the air/insulation cavity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Total thickness looks to be 12". When you say 'bent' do you men L shaped? How would I order from steel guys?
6" x 11" x 7/8" thick