walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

How big a LVL beam do I need to span 20 feet on a porch that

Customer Question

How big a LVL beam do I need to span 20 feet on a porch that is 16 feet wide. The beam will support 2x8 rafters.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a sketch or any pictures you can share with me?
What City and State are you in for possible snow load consideration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any sketches, the project is a screened in porch on a deck to be constructed that is 2' off the ground. Consider the floor is 16' x 20', 6x6 posts directly under tripled 2x10 on the circumference, 10 footers and posts. Joists are hung off these beams. Walls are 4x4 posts toped with doubled padded 2x8 beams. The tails of the rafters sit on these on the two 20' sides. I don't want any collar ties because the pitch is very low 4 1/2" over 12" on the 16" width. Thinking a doubled 14" LVL ridge beam would work to support the rafters on either side. The beam's load is transferred directly on the out side by a 4x4 post down to the tripled 2x10 and 6x6 post into the footer. Then at the house it's cut into the wall and it's load transferred via the house load path. Figured to use 2x8 rafters with connectors everywhere and to create a continuous load path throughout. I have an engineer but thought I'd try this service, normally I'd use them but the customer is trying to save $$. The project is in Montgomery County, Maryland.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rafters 2' on center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can call me if you'd like,(###) ###-#### ***** August 11th between 7am to 5pm EST.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I have it correct:
1. Your deck 16'wide along your house and project 20' out from the house?
2. You would like a ridge beam sized that clear spans 20' with one end supported by the house and the other end supported by a post that goes down to the triple 2x10 perimeter beam?
3. The roof rafters will span approx. 8' off of each side of the ridge beam?
4. What will your roofing material be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're done, I will request a refund for non-service.