StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Our home (bought as a foreclosure) has circular concrete

Customer Question

Our home (bought as a foreclosure) has circular concrete type plugs showing around the exterior concrete (sidewalks, patio, garage floor) and the patio has a cracked area and tile is uneven in the dining room. What does this mean?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I can help. I will have some questions for you
Can you post some photos for me to look at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the pictures. Can you take a few further back to show some context?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That is helpful. I will need to research this. I've never seen plugs that small. They appear to be about 1" is diameter. Is that accurate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband says they are 1.5 inches. The house was built in 1994 and he thinks they have been there more than 5 yrs. We are just concerned because we have never seen anything like this and there was no owner to ask. He doesn't think it's a root problem but there are 2 pine trees and 7 palms on the property.
I will be in touch ASAP

Hello. I apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience. I have done a lot of research on this, because it is quite uncommon. From everything I can tell, this is typically done to allow pressure grouting for sunken slabs in very lightly loaded applications. The reason it didn't stand out to me as that initially is that every pressure grouting situation I've been involved with has had much larger diameter holes spread further apart with real structural loads, not just a sidewalk.