StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

What strength and size I-beam would I need to support a

Customer Question

What strength and size I-beam would I need to support a 27x48 manufactured home? Currently has no basement- we are adding basement. We will have posts supporting the center of the beams every 10'.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Do you have drawings you can share?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. We have no manufacturer drawings of the house.
Then I would need a sketch showing the framing and where the beam will go and what it's supporting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frame of the house is 27x48.
The beams will go under the house.(every 10' so 3-4 beams)
The supporting poles will hold up the 3-4 beams.
The question I am asking is what strength of I - beams do I need to support the house?
I could send you what we drew up for the permit.... that is the only drawing we have.We have 4 I -beams that run lengthwise (2 on each half of the manfucatured home)We will keep those in place and will be adding the new beams crosswise.If you need me to draw it out for you I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the owner's manual, there is a sketch on the front cover. There is no other sketch drawing available.
That's somewhat helpful, but I really need a sketch showing the framing or there is no way for me to track the load to each beam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this sufficient? Are you familiar with manufactured homes and how they have existing steel beams under them- that is what is there now. We are moving the house, pouring concrete for basement,then adding additional beams crosswise to support the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The basement will be 9 feet 5 foot of concrete and 4 foot of 2x6 wood frame. We would like a 8 foot ceiling so we have allowed 1 foot space for beams etc.We are all set to get started but are want to make sure the beams we buy aren't excessive in strength (and wasted money) but also strong enough to support the manufactured home
I will read closer in an hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still working on a answer?

I will assume that all framing for the home is perpendicular to the steel beams and that no load bearing walls are above any beams such that the beams support a single floor only. I will provide a size for ceramic tile floor and one without.

With the beams spanning 10' on center, you'll need a W6x20 where you have ceramic tile and W6x15 where you don't.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.