walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a few questions regarding braced wall panels on each

Customer Question

I have a few questions regarding braced wall panels on each side of a 16' garage door opening and the anchors / tie downs required to meet the requirements of the Minnesota Residential Code.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the specifics:
- This is a DIY job except for the concrete pour.
- Structure is 22' x 24' garage on floating slab (12 in shoulder footings) with engineered room in attic trusses.
- Sill plate sits atop 1 course of 6 in. masonry block
- Garage door opening of 16'3" is dead center of the 22' gable wall. Wall panels on each side of the garage door are 34.5".
- City gave me handout regarding Narrow Wall Bracing, showing 4,200 lb tension straps embedded in the slab on each end of each wall segment, which I provided to the concrete contractor before the slab was poured.
- I don't believe these straps can be used with block but don't know. In any case, the concrete contractor did not install these before the pour so when I mentioned it he drilled a hole in the slab / footing and epoxied in a piece of rebar, then tied these straps to the rebar, ground out a path for the strap to the edge of the block, then core filled the block. I'm thinking there's no way this will pass inspection but need to know before I start building.I've prepared the attached drawing (Garage OH Door Wall.pdf) to illustrate what I thought would be code, under which I could cut off the straps installed by the contractor and install my own tie downs... I thought 1,800 lb would be sufficient per my reading of code. But city inspector says no, the tie downs need to be 4,200 lb. He said they don't need to be embedded but I can't seem to find a product that will provide that hold down strength when not embedded in the slab.So my questions are:(1) Is what the concrete contractor did going to fail inspection?
(2) Can you give me a specific product recommendation for 4,200 lb tie downs that don't need to be embedded (i.e. can be post-installed)?
(3) I'm further confused about the handout the city gave me (see Narrow Wall Bracing.png attached). Does my header need to extend to the corner of each wall? In other words, do I need a 22 ' header or what I'm showing in my drawing work?Thanks!
Thank you for the extra information. I will formulate my response and get back to you shortly/