walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

14 ft span opening, floor and roof above, steel beam directly

Customer Question

14 ft span opening, floor and roof above, steel beam directly below with supporting wall under beam so it is well supported.
what size beam required using Parallam /LVL type?
on either side of beam 15ft
2x8 overlapped across for second floor
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) =2 2) 15ft 3)roof loads transferred to walls 4)Brampton Ontario Canada 5) asphalt shingle
truss span 30ft not sure of ptch but it is pretty steep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgot basement has steel posts 4 inch round and 2x4 walls below the steel beam
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I have a couple more questions:1. You answered question #3 "roof load transferred to walls", is that trusses that clear span the interior walls and rest all of their weight on on the exterior walls?2. Is there any storage or occupancy in the attic area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No clear span load transfer to outside wallsNothing in attic as it is all trusses
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted. I am assuming this proposed 14' span beam will be supporting the 2nd floor joists, a wall on the 2nd floor and the 2nd floor ceiling. I am assuming NO roof/snow load is transferred down to this proposed beam. I can give you a couple of engineered wood options for your 14’ span floor beam:3-1/2” x 14” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP5-1/4” x 11-1/4” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements. If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you have any more questions