walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I want to make trailer ramps out of 2" x 12" douglas fur and

Customer Question

I want to make trailer ramps out of 2" x 12" douglas fur and then add aluminum channel to each end of each ramp. The ramps would be 60" long. I want to push up a 4,000# ***** roller or drive my 4,000# ***** up the ramps. The height trailer is 15" to ground.
What section of Aluminum channel will allow me to do this safely.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any pictures of your current setup that you can share with me?
You can attach the pictures to the Chat Window with the paperclip in the toolbar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DearCustomerI do not have any pictures. If I did take a picture it would show a utility trailer that is 10" long on an axle rated at 3,500#. the trailer is flat. I have used 2 planks of douglas fur with a steel lip bolted on one end of each plank. The steel lip sits on the edge of the trailer. The other end of the planks are on the ground. The difference between the ground and the bed of the trailer is 14". The length of the douglas fur planks are 60". I would like to support the douglas fur planks so they will reliably hold 4,000#. I have thought of placing aluminum channel over each running length edge. Or bolt a 3" Aluminum I=beam on the bottom of each plank and it would run the length of the beam. I like the aluminum channel idea best. How thick do the channel walls have to be to accomplish this or what is the lbs./foot of the channel that will accomplish this.Chuck Vierthaler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CustomerAre you working on my problem? If are please let me know when you might have a solution.Thank you.Chuck Vierthaler
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. It looks like StructuralEng is helping you now. I will let you continue with him. Just ignore this question, you do not have to Rate this question since you are working with him. Good Luck with your project.