walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Is it possible to convert a raised deck into enclosed living

Customer Question

Is it possible to convert a raised deck into enclosed living space?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Do you have any pictures of your raised deck that you can share with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any pictures but I can tell you it is 20ft wide 12 feet deep . Raised 6.5 ft., (we have a tri-level) the deck was overbuilt at the time to carry the load of our hot tub. The support structure is (7) 6x6 pressure treated columns supporting 6x6 beams the entire width. These are on poured 12x12 concrete bases which extend below the frost line, approx.5 ft. the joists are 2x10, 16in. on center. this is all attached to the header and house with strong ties through to the house joists.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted. A standard floor load in a residence is a 40 psf Live Load and a 10 psf Dead Load. 2"x10" floor joists spanning 12' and spaced at 16" o.c. would be fine to support that load.I have a few questions:1. How will the roof be framed, so I can check if you need to add beams under your bearing walls?2. What City and State do you live in for possible snow load consideration?3. With 7 posts over your 20' length, I assumed your posts are spaced at 3.33' o.c., is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. I am looking at engineered trusses
2. I live in Oak Creek, WI. Just North of Chicago, IL
3. The posts are at 3ft on center
4. I am going to hire a structural engineer for this project. I was just looking into the feasibility before taking the next step.
Thank you for your help. Do you recommend any engineer in the area?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
It is feasible. Here is a weblink to the Wisconsin Structural Engineers Association members:http://seawi.org/directory.php If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you come back online and if you have any additional questions.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks