walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Planning to build an i-beam retaining wall with 6"x6" wood

Customer Question

Planning to build an i-beam retaining wall with 6"x6" wood cross beams. Wall will be 6' high. How do I figure out what size beam I need? And how far apart do I space the i-beams? And how deep do I need to bury the beam in concrete? I was assuming 4' but can go 6' if needed. Clay soils. Wall will be 5' from a two lane road.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
This is a fairly intensive design exercise. What is on the high side? Any trees, traffic, or other surcharge? Do grade slope up or down from the wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small trees and bushes above the wall, and a two lane road. I'm
Not sure I understand your second question, but we live below the top of a major hill and the wall will be retaining part of that hill to expand a smallish patio into a mediumish patio. I think that means that the grade slopes up from the wall. I can send you a few pics later today if that would help.If I wanted to hire someone to do the engineering design, what kind of engineer would I hire? Structural? Civil? Soil?Thanks!
A structural engineer should do the design. I can do all of the Checks for the entire system as an additional service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but will you give me answers to my original questions?
That is the entire design. That's more than one question as part of the entire system. I will submit the additional service offer to design the entire system for you.
I submitted the offer. If you accept the offer, I will have some additional questions for you. I will work with you to get you all of the information and sketches by Sunday afternoon.