walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Your answer to my last question was not the one I wanted; it

Customer Question

Your answer to my last question was not the one I wanted; it calls for a larger beam than they came up with; however, I didn't ask you to make me happy but to confirm the information I had. Another question: in the attached picture, there is a small translucent
representation of the end of one of our domes. In practice, it will have cables incorporated into it on a pattern, similar to that in the rest of the jpg. The pressure in the fabric is transferred to the cables. Cables go over the top of the structure from
foundation to foundation. The arc of all the cables are all based on the same center point and radius. The question is: how does the length of the cable above the foundation effect the load in the cable itself? Is the load directly related to the length of
the cable or to some other criteria? Do the cables at the end of the building as it gets closer to the ground, have less load than the longer cables in the center of the building?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
What exactly are the cables doing? Cables can't be in an arch shape unless they are supported by something else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cables are enclosed in the seams between sheets of woven poly. The air inside the building, supplied by the fans next to the door, hold the building up and the cables in an arc. What I am trying to determine is the difference in the load on the cables (and anchors) from the Center, high point of the building where the cables are ~ 180' long, to the end, where they are under 100' long. Not looking for the load on specific cables; I have the architectural drawings if we get to that point or think we need them; I am just looking for the relationship between the length of the cable, the pressure in the building, and the load in pounds on the length of the cable, and the anchors. See attached pictures from inside a dome. The cables are visible through the fabric at each seam, spaced 5' apart down the length of the building. There is a pdf presentation at our website that might help: airscapes.net
I will have to look at this over the weekend. I will opt out until I get to review it