StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My teleposts are too long, there is no further adjustment to make them smaller. So how do

Customer Question

My teleposts are too long, there is no further adjustment to make them smaller. So how do I adress this. This is for a basement. They are concreted into footer pads.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in expansive clay and it has pushed up the posts but they are all "maxed out" in that their is no further adjustment left to make them smaller. I think the original builder didn't buy the right size. A builder mentioned that I would have to take them out and cut them shorter and then re-install. Can this be done when they are embeded in the footer?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you
That would really require taking out the concrete footing and installing a new one. To make adjustable posts permanent, it's required to embed them in concrete. I suppose you could pour new concrete around the post after sitting it on top of the footing, but this will be above your basement floor.
Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.