StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I just had a concrete driveway installed in a new house that

Customer Question

I just had a concrete driveway installed in a new house that I am building and there is pooling of water in a number of locations. The pooling depth is less then 1/2 inches and the 1 ft x 2ft in size .It is a large driveway. Should I have the entire drive re-poured?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to assist you.
Do you know anything about the slab? What is the thickness? Is there any reinforcing or synthetic macro fibers? What is the city and state (for climactic factors)? Compressive strength? Air entrainment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slab is 4" over standard driveway construction material. The city is Bluffton, South Carolina . I am not sure of the Compression strength or Air entrainment.
Thank you for that information. Do you know if there is any welded wire mesh or synthetic macrofiber?
You are in an area that gets little snow and, therefore, have little exposure to de-icing salts. Pooling water in that environment is not as problematic as in areas exposed to de-icing salts, but it still not a desirable condition. Having the entire driveway repoured is extreme, but I would request that the contractor cover the cost of the remedial work for the lifetime of the concrete driveway. A small patch providing proper drainage is the easiest fix, but it will not last as long as the larger slab and will need to be replaced more often.