StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I need to bolt a beam to a concrete foundation wall 10x10

Customer Question

I need to bolt a beam to a concrete foundation wall for a 10x10 deck. The decking needs to be at a certain height -patio door opens right on to it. My question is, can I have the joists sit on top of the beam directly vs using hangers off the side of the beam?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you. What kind of beam do you have? Wood or steel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking of building it out of 2x10x10 pressure treated boards, it would end up being 3"thick. The end of the joists would then sit on that beam. The beam would be bolted to the house via hilti fasteners, The other end of the joists would sit on another beam set on 3 8x8 posts affixed to concrete pilings.
You can have the joists sit on top of the beam, you'll just need blocking between the joists over the beam and to toe nail the joists to the top of the beam