StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Basement wall cracks during building process. Is it sufficient

Customer Question

Basement wall cracks during building process. Is it sufficient for the contractor to patch the crack or should we request that he does more?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is one main crack from floor to ceiling, contractor is acting like its not a big deal but the basement is ledd than a month old? He says gutters will fix the problem. I want the crack fixed but not sure to what extent, it is all the way through. Wider at the top than the bottom. Water is coming through. There is also a verticle crack below the window on the opposite wall. Ive read about patching it and excavating and re pouring? What would you do if it was your new house?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Can you post some pictures?
Is the wall back filled yet?
Is there waterproofing on the exterior?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes its back filled, and it was sealed, concrete cured well before backfilling, I think the problem is the footers were poured on a very rainy day (2 inches that day) and the rain hasn't stopped yet... I m not upset and I know this happens but I just dont want problems in the future. I actually dont have pictures, and Im at work right now. We first noticed the crack when all we could see was the water. Now at the widest (top) you could probably fit a nickle in it (skinny ways) It is very verticle right on one of the seams. I will try and get you some pictures in the morning. Thanks for the speedy reply! He is wanting to do the walk through and get his final draw (15%) I just want to feel good about everything.
Thank you the information. I will read this over now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get photos house is locked until our walk through. Only thing I have is photos from I phone and it won't let me upload them to this site. They aren't in the right format?
Try uploading to mediafire and post the URL here for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the trouble I think we're ok