How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question

StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 6820
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an above ground deck 14' (joist length) x 20' wide.

Customer Question

I have an above ground deck 14' (joist length) x 20' wide. It currently has 3 posts (6'x6')about 8' apart supporting the beam. The beam is a 4" x 10" with a span of 20'. I want to remove the center post. A chart beam would indicate with that span I would need either an engineered beam or a steel beam. Correct? It was also suggested that I might put a steel faceplate (3/4" x 10") on the existing beam. Would that work?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
I can help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your answers?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
3/4" flitch plate will not work for that beam. You need a bigger beam.

Related Structural Engineering Questions