walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Removed kitchen wall leaving a 14 ft opening... I would like

Customer Question

Removed kitchen wall leaving a 14 ft opening... I would like to know what size beam to use to support 2nd floor weight
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at your drawing, I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. 1st floor drawing, 2nd box that reads "floor joist span #2" - We had a 3 foot opening and we expanded that to a 14 foot opening and now the ceiling is hanging by 1/2". I want to know what size beam we should be using to support the 2nd floor weight without the ceiling hanging by that 1/2". The beams you have noted as #1,#2,#3,#4 are vertical beams and I'm talking about a horizontal beam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want to know when I can expect a reply.. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you need me to size a New Beam #2 from my sketch.
1. What are the span lengths of the floor joists #3 and #4?
2. Can you answer questions #3, #4 and #5 on my sketch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
#4 - Houston, TX
#5 - Asphalt
I am researching this on behalf of my employer and I think it may be best and certainly faster if you speak directly to him. I believe he will be in the office this morning. It would be great if you can call in. I will pay the extra charge once he is in the office. Thank you!
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
We do not really need to do a phone call for the extra charge if you can have someone draw a rough sketch similar to the one I sent and fill in dimensions. You can then attach the sketch to the Chat Window with the paperclip in the toolbar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. just one clarification. Beam #2 - is that a vertical beam or horizontal?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Beam #2 is a horizontal beam, not a column/post. This drawing is a cross section view.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Floor joist for #3 - There is a stairway there.
#4 Floor Joist - 14 ft
He has roof trusses that are 4ft tall around the edge inside the attic and 2 in the center... they are not factory built.and yes, he wants to know what size Beam to place on first floor after enlarging the opening to the kitchen to 14ft.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
let me take a look at your information
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
I can give you a couple of engineered wood options for your beam:
5-1/2” x 11-1/4” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP
3-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF
These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html
You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions