walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Divide wall 19' long, want to remove that wall and put and

Customer Question

Divide wall 19' long, want to remove that wall and put and beam there to support attic ceiling, what size of beam we need
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can help. Can I get back with you when I get to my office this morning?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Base on PDFs elevation drawing, I am on #7, and the beam it need to put it on beam # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What size of beam I need to put there without post in the middle.
I prefer use laminate beam
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I have a few questions:
1. You mentioned "I am on #7", what does that mean?
2. Do you have any storage or occupancy in the attic?
3. What city and state do you live in for possible snow load?
4. What are the spans of the ceiling joists off of each side of this proposed new beam?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you come back online
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am still here to help if you need it. Please let me know and if you do not, I will not contact you any more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roof by tile, one story house , nothing load on attic.the house in union city, California .
We want to remove the divider wall 19' to make room bigger, than replace the wall with a beam 19' but I wander what size of beam I can put over there with the long 19'.
If I go with the length 16', what size of beam I need?
If go with the length 19', what size of beam I need?
Thanks for your help.
Tran
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
u replied
Thursday, July 02, 2015 2:16 PM EST
Thanks for your help.
Tran
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/structural-engineering/964x2-divide-wall-19-long-want-remove-wall-put.html?al=1&utm_source=mar&utm_medium=email&utm_content=viewer_bu&utm_campaign=ir_reminder_12_sub_a&r=nme%7Cir_reminder_12_sub_a%7CDM19482%7Cln=viewer_bu&rpt=1020#ixzz3enHYETn5
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I have one more question, what are the spans of the ceiling joists off of each side of your new proposed beam?
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you still need help.
If so, can you answer my last question in my last post? Thanks