walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Putting a shed type roof on back of home it is 19ft deep from

Customer Question

Putting a shed type roof on back of home it is 19ft deep from home to back outer wall. Actually 19ft from end of soFfit to new back wall. The roof rafters will Reach from face of soffit up roof 8ft what size rafter should I use,with a 2ft overhange?thanks ken...
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can help.
I am away from my computer right now, can I get back to you in about 30 minutes?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any cross section sketch you can share with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can send you.from where rafter will hit roof to outer new support wall is about25ft.thanks need a reply...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My home #989(###) ###-####
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
If you have any kind of sketch, you can take a close up picture of it with your camera and send that. I want to make sure I fully understand your configuration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you have any other questions call me please.thanks ken
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Just one more question and I can then run some numbers for your answer:
1. what city and state are you located in so I can look at possible snow load?
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,l understand your statment.location is saginaw ml..the width of this roof will be 30ft. Thanks ken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What size rafters do you sugest? Thanks ken
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
For 25' span roof rafters spaced at 16" o.c. and assuming a snow load of 35 psf and a dead load of 10 psf, you would need the following:
double 2x12's (#1 grade) of Douglas Fir, Southern Pine or SPF lumber
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.