walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a garage 25'-7" wide, 27' long. It is conventionally

Customer Question

I have a garage 25'-7" wide, 27' long. It is conventionally stacked 4-1/2 and 12 pitch. It now has 2x4 rafters, 2x6 ties 25'-7". I want to make this garage an open beam sealing. I will change the rafters to 2x6 to make the rafter span work. I will use New post at both ends of the garage to support new support beam at ridge, to create a open beam ceiling. I need to know what size beam to use for this situation.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me take a look at your question a bit closer
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
1. So you need a 27' clear span ridge beam designed?
2. What City and State do you live in for possible snow load consideration?
3. What type of roofing do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes 27 ft clear span
The City is San Diego California
The roofing will Be Asphalt shingles
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can give you a few engineered wood options for your 27’ span ridge beam:
5-1/2” x 18” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP
5-1/4” x 18” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF
7” x 16” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF
These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html
You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any questions
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.