How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7013
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a 3 story, 3650 sq ft 5 bedroom house, just developed a

Customer Question

In a 3 story, 3650 sq ft 5 bedroom house, just developed a 2 mm wide crack across the entire concrete slab in the basement floor, and one far corner of the concrete slab has a thinner crack diagonally across the corner, with the back triangular corner section slightly depressed. ( We've had lots of rain this year in Wisconsin. ) Is a structural engineer the one to consult about this, and what do their services usually cost? If not a S.E., who would we call?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
HelloHow are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a structural engineer is who you want to consult for this. It could be settlement from too much moistureHow old is the home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Built in 1996

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
How long ago did you notice the crack?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It just appeared in the Spring. We had a relatively dry winter, for us, with not much snow. Very cold. Then a very wet spring. We are on the very edge of a marsh, near springs and a spring -fed creek that feeds into Lake Mendota, one of 4 large lakes here in Wisconsin, if that helps. Our house is the lowest in our development, in a bowl-shaped depression in a hillside.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Is the concrete exposed or you have a finished floor over it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exposed in this half of the sublevel ( not full, below ground basement. ) Other half is finished ( carpeted. )

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
The other possibility would be shrinkage cracking, but it doesn't sound like that is the case if it just developed after 20 years.It is likely having to do with excessive moisture and possible expansive soils or settlement due to the high moisture and then drying out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, thank you. We'll look for a reputable structural engineer to assess it.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Take care.

Related Structural Engineering Questions