walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Timber ridge beam

Customer Question

Timber ridge beam ( laminated softwood or lvl ) RLW 3.550m, span 5.8m. Metal roofing , plasterboard ceiling.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you. Are the rafters 3.55 m on each side of the ridge beam?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , length is about 4m. Total span is 7.1m. Half span is 3.550.
What is the 5.8 m span you reference in the original question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is the length of the beam. Picture a triangle, base is 7.1m, apex is 1.3m. Beam needs to take rafters either side of it for a length of 5.8m. Thanks. Do you supply certificate at end of calculation ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rafter length is 3.8m both side of proposed ridge beam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roof is a simple gable roof.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How are you going ?
I can provide calculations as an additional service, but I can't stamp anything.
To be clear, the span of the ridge beam is 5.8m and it has 3.5 m rafters on both sides?
Do you want me to submit the additional service offer for the calculations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rafter lengths are 3.8m. I'm concerned about the cost. I've found span tables on my Australian website. Thought I was dealing locally. Please supply beam details thanks.
I'm working on the size right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forget it. Bloody hell, what a waste of time and money. Trouble with this world and Internet, you don't know who you are dealing with and where. The whole system was deceiving. Sorted out my beam from span tables by Hyne. Was miss led. Thanks for the rip off.
I apologize for the delay. It was very late here and I fell asleep. Do you still want the size?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
System still sucks. At no point have I been given my answer. I needed it quickly . Basic structural question, full day in Australia to wait. Can't get my refund from your link because I don't seem to have a password ***** the user account. I don't have an account. When you look at at your stipulations, I have never been given an answer and it is way too late. I needed it within hours, I paid for the privilege . I have no desire to ask another question on the same thread. I want a refund. Not happy.
I will request the refund for you.