StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am wanting a clear span room of 34'. The only load

Customer Question

I am wanting a clear span for a room of 34'. The only load will be the roof. Which is 1/2 plywood and asphalt singles. The wall are 12' each way from the center of the beam. The roof pitch is 3.5 X 12.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to assist you. What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?
Do you want engineered lumber or steel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excelsior Springs, Missouri I was wanting to use a tube beam
HSS 16x8x3/8 will work for strength an limit deflection to span/360.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wanting to keep the beam as short on height as possible...What would happen if we use a heavier beam.... 1/2" 3/4"
Was hoping for around 10" in height
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A 5" width would work well also but appears that I may have to say with a 6" ...To meet my height requirement
Thanks
10" in depth will not span the 34' that you want.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have been out of town.. If the thickness of the steel was increase....Can the height of the beam be smaller .....
I can get a HSS down to 12", but it's very wide and thick. I can also get an I beam to work. I would also design a custom shape to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whatever is the best way to get the height as short as possible...I beam, tube beam, custom beam, or wood beam.( I was told wood would be very tall, 16 ". A custom beam is very doable. We have a shop) ....It makes no difference....The width could be a problem at some point....I will wait for your reply. Looking for the best way to support the opening with the height being as compact as possible Thanks
Do you need 10" or even more shallow. Wood would be much greater than 16". I can make a 10" I beam work or a custom 8" beam. The custom 8" beam would be an additional service offer and would include the proportions and weld requirements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
paid 34.00 Is that not covered
Not to design a custom section. I can size the W10 I beam as this question, but custom beam calculations would be an additional service