StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am looking into enlarging a 34" opening into a wider 72" double door a

Customer Question

I am looking into enlarging a 34" opening into a wider 72" double door and want to add an adequate lintel.
Wall is masonry, made of two layers of brick with Lime mortar (150 year-old wall).
There are two floors above, I calculated the total uniform load over the 72" opening to be about 10,000 to 12,000 pounds (about 5000 kg) for both brick layers.
I am looking to add two steel lintels (ideally an angle since it is easier to install, otherwise a channel) for each layer of brick. Would be 8 foot long total, with 6 foot span.
I am thinking of using a lintel 5 to 6 inches deep (high) and 3 to 3.5 inches wide (2 inches if a channel), with 5/16 to 3/8 thickness.
Is that a reasonable approach? Thanks for you help.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you. I will have some questions for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I suspect this is an automatically generated answer, please let me know what the questions are.
I should add that the floor joists are not bearing on the wall to be opened, as they run parallel to it.
It was not automatically generated.
What is the total height of the brick left above the lintel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure!
I estimate it to be about 22 feet at most, probably closer to 20 feet: 2 feet above the lintel before the next floor, then 9-10 feet for each of the remaining floors above. I can give a precise measure tomorrow if needed. I used 100-130pcf to calculate the uniform load of up to 12,000 lbs based on these 22 feet height over the lintel. I am curious if my reasoning was correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, FYI, current "lintel" is a brick arch.
You need two angles 6x4x3/8 ASTM A36 (through-bolted) to limit the deflection to span/600 (a requirement of the masonry code).
Do you have any other questions for me on this topic?
If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.