walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Two story house, half the house is open to cathedral ceiling

Customer Question

Two story house, half the house is open to cathedral ceiling with loft looking down from second floor to open 1st floor. The width of the house is 26'. Is there a 26' long LVL, to span the full width of the house. Also the LVL would support the second floor loft area.
LVL to be 26'long x High ? x Depth ?.
Thank-you
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am still here to help when you come back online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Span #2 =12' from weight bearing wall to LVL spanning 26' @ loft. Column at center (1st to 2nd floor) to be removed. Span #3 & 4 = 13'. Drawings attached.
Thank-you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me look at your plans and then we can arrange a phone call a bit later this evening. Will that work?
I see you are in CT, so we are in the same Time Zone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay!
I got tied up here in the office most of the day and I am headed off to a meeting right now.
Can we get together for a phone call some time tomorrow?
Please let me know what time can work for you.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can call me at any time, thank-you.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I need to send you an Additional Service Request for approval, here it comes.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you agree with my service request by accepting it and providing me with your phone number. Thanks
If not, we can proceed with the Chat back and forth process.
Let me know.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am here to help if you still need it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will continue by Chat.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me look over your plans a bit closer. I will have a few questions.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 26’ span beam:
5-1/2” x 16” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP
5-1/4” x 16” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF
These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html
You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I think you may need to refuse my offer of additional services for the phone call to finish up the question.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you come back online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must refuse the additional service for phone call to finish up the question. Thanks.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
OK, that would be great if you can do that.
Let me know if you have any more questions.