walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Let,s us try this one more time. I asked about extending a

Customer Question

Let,s us try this one more time. I asked about extending a master bedroom out over a second story open porch with open porch below. My answer was invalid credit card number. It is definitely correct and good. Been wth the company since 1954. Please clear up. The original cost was to be $36. I have no problem. What is going on ? Now would not feel comfortable giving another card. If no response I want to put my card company on alert. My phone number(###) ###-####
Y
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
I'll be happy to assist you. This is the first I've see. The question and I have nothing to do with billing.
Can you post a sketch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Porch is 24ft and two levels. Porch is 10 wide with joists . Beam I is supported every 6ft by 4x4 posts. Beam are 3 2x6 Second story has roof supported over the corner posts and one holding the ridge roof beam. Want to extend bed room out 10 ft x17 ft. Construction since in 80s so solid support to date )power s green porch to be maintained. What say you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot submit drawing lower porch to remain screened upper to closed up 10 x17 bedroom extension
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
I really need to see exactly what is there now and what you want to change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have no way to draw. Look at a two story view. The lower porch has a cement floor. Above that is the second story porch with wood floor. Both are open porches with rails to people protection. Both porches are supported using the same corner posts extending up to the roof over the second story. A between the coner posts at 6ft apart are two additional posts to the second story roof line On post hits the ridge beam coming from the house. That means 4 posts over a 24 foot span. The span of twenty four feet is made up of three 2x6s on which the second story floor rests with the four posts (2 corner and 2 middle posts) supporting the second story porch and roof. However, when adding under a similar porch at the other end of the house there were only two corner posts holding up the same roof coverage. There we built walls to the roof line and enclosed to extend the kitchen area with a hearth room. Here we want to bring the master bedroom out on the second story porch by 10 ft and 17ft of the 24 ft porch length. The remaining space on the end of the bedroom extension will be a small screened area with french doors off of the bedroom. The bedroom will have 4 singe doublehung windows the master king bed will rest entirely over thahe screened porch on the lower level. Proper insulation under upper floor and protected. Final siding to cover second enclosed story. That's vinyl. The floor joists holding up the second story floor are2x10
Can you do a hand sketch? I don't need anything in CAD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pictures I took of it for you I hope it helps.
Thank you. I will look at this and get back to you this evening
I understand your structure now. What exactly is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are wanting to build the upper level into an extension of the bedroom. We will not be removing the wall that is currently there and just removing a full size window to create access. We are wanting to know if we need to beef up the existing structure to support a bed, 4 double hung windows and a set of French doors. Let me know if there is any othe information or pictures that I can get for you. The bottom will remain a porch for now but we will insulate the ceiling heavily.
Ok. I will get back to you this afternoon
I apologize for the technical difficulty. I came back to see if you had any additional questions and I see my last post is not here. If you still need this, I will repost it again when I return home tomorrow afternoon. I apologize again for the technical difficulty with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we would greatly appreciate it if you could repost your response.
Thank you. I will repost as soon as I return home (about 4:30 pm EST)