StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

How much force is need to drive a 20# ***** foot steel H beam

Customer Question

how much force is need to drive a 20# ***** foot steel H beam into dune sand? Does the force needed change with depth? I plan to use a excavator compactor to drive the H beams in and it has 5000# ***** impulse force at 2100 cpm and it weighs 700#. How much force do I need for 4ft, 6ft and 8 ft?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
The force will vary with depth. The deeper you go the more force you need to advance it. It's impossible to give exact forces with a geotech report. Without one you're taking a complete guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clearly if you have tested the soil (sand) you could give me an exact force, however you could give me a range of forces that could be required. I have given you the equipment that I plan to use. I also know I can drive a stake 1'x2" with my hand. This dune sand has been there for several hundred years and is stabilized with trees. this is not sand that has been recently blown there.
I would expect that the force increases with depth. The friction from the sand increases due to the more surface area exposed as it goes down and the friction increases due to the increased pressure as it goes further down. Also there is the force of displacing sand with the steel that increases as it is forced down.What would the highest force needed to drive these H beams? Would the compactor do the job?