walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a typical pole barn 32x48 with gambrel attic trusses

Customer Question

I have a typical pole barn 32x48 with gambrel attic trusses (floor space on second level is 17 feet in width). I'm purchasing an rv and would like to alter the attic truss to accomodate a 12x14 foot overhead door. The existing ceiling height is 8 feet. I'm assuming I would need post and beam support to eliminate the bottom cord but do not know proper size and spacing. I have been a contractor for 39 years so I know enough to be dangerous. I was thinking 6x6 posts with proper footings spaced about 13 ft oc with 3-1 3/4 x 9 1/2 micro-lams. Am I in the ballpark or is there a better way to go about this? The idea was to leave a 30 inch section of the bottom cord on each side as a cantilever with the beams centered under the vertical truss support. First time user or this site!
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
I can help. Can I get back to you in an hour?
Thank you for your patience. I had an emergency here with the kids.
Do you have a sketch you can share of the existing framing and the modification(s) you want to make?