walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a beam and a post in a kitchen in a tall two story home

Customer Question

I have a beam and a post in a kitchen in a tall two story home that I would like to remove. It's mostly the post that goes through the 'L" shaped center island that is in the way of changing the center island. I have blue prints but the post isn't in the blue prints. I think it was an addition to keep the upper level floor from rattling. The post is about 3' away from a window. I was told that I could put a heftier header above the window and support it that way. I was also told that I could remove the post and add a type of 'glulam' beam. Removing the beam is an option too. I do have construction photo's and architectural prints. The house was built in 1989. What would you do?
Thank you.
Bonnie
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can help, can you attach copies of your plans and pictures so I can take a look at them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, give me a couple of minutes. Here are the photos. Framing and finished with post.

beam above the window on the left. Post not there yetfile:///Users/Bonnie/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2011/11/01/20111101-193401/IMG_0003.jpgfile:///Users/Bonnie/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2011/11/01/20111101-193332/IMG_0005.jpg

Blue Prints

file:///Users/Bonnie/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail%20Downloads/A4F5EE61-EBD9-4DDD-8E4E-885BF9EBDCA0/FullSizeRender.jpg

file:///Users/Bonnie/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail%20Downloads/24CAAC08-327C-452C-B289-46AF4058071C/FullSizeRender.jpg

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to open your file links. Try sending to***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, please give me a few minutes.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Talk to you this evening.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
After looking at your pictures and plans, I have a few questions:
1. I need to know the perpendicular distance from the beam in question to the wall that runs parallel to the beam one each side? From your picture, one of the dimensions would be the perpendicular distance from the beam over to the wall with the refrigerator on it.
2. What is the length of the beam from the bay window wall it rests on to the other interior wall it rests on?
3. Is there any storage or occupancy in your attic?
4. It appears that the 6x6 post shows up on both the plans you sent me. That being said, the beam could very well have a joint over the 6x6 post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I can answer your questions accurately but I'll try.1. The perpendicular distance from the beam over to the wall with the refrigerator is approximately, 12'6".
The perpendicular distance from the beam over to the wall on the other side of the beam is approximately, 14'.
2. Approximately 17'11".
3. There is a second story above the kitchen. Above the second story is an attic. We don't store anything up there. The roof/ceiling is pitched on the second story Below the kitchen is a sub-level rough ground. The house is built on a slope and is multi-levels.
4. Can't answer this. The beam is finished with moulding.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
I can give you a few engineered wood options for your 18’ span beam:
5-1/2” x 14” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP
5-1/4” x 16” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF
7” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF
These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html
You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.