walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 16 foot hall wall to remove. It is sharing the load

Customer Question

I have a 16 foot hall wall to remove. It is sharing the load with the other side of the hall wall it is supporting the up stairs two bedrooms and a master bath. The upstairs floor joist are running from exterior wall to exterior wall. At each end of the 16 foot wall that we want to remove is a concret footer in the basement to carry the load all the wall down. What size beam and wood or still I beam
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you come back online.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am still here to help if you need it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry its been so long I got called out of town. Is there a way I can send you a drawing to help answer your questions. All joist run from outside wall to outside wall and are 20 feet long 16 on center the roof pitch is 12/12 the house is in Denver CO asphalt singles
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
You can attach your drawing to the Chat Window with the paperclip in the toolbar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope this helps
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me print this out and I will get back with you this evening if that is OK.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
I can give you a few engineered wood options for your 16’ span beam:
3-1/2” x 14” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP
3-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF
5-1/4” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF
These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html
You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions