walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Six years ago a new 12 ft long, 5 ft wide concrete walkway

Customer Question

Six years ago a new 12 ft long, 5 ft wide concrete walkway with two groups of steps was poured in front of my D.C. rowhouse. The lower group of five steps next to the sidewalk are cracked and uneven now, the upper group of 6 steps is sound except for one cracked step. The railings are loose and need to be reinstalled. Should I replace the entire walkway or fix the individual steps? What is a reasonable cost range for replacing the entire walkway vs. repairing the damaged steps. If I opt to repair the entire walkway, what materials and standards should I require?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can helpDo you have any pictures you can share with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fourth house from left with white table, partially behind tree.

https:[email protected],-77.016878,3a,52.5y,116h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxmCKlHebNlM5CKJAEwLWhg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Is this your house with the wreath on the door, I moved a little to the right from your link:https:[email protected],-77.017051,3a,60.2y,94.54h,86.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLeSzZpc_J3Ea63jt_KMkXA!2e0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, its the one adjacent to (and slightly behind) the Speed Limit 15 mph sign with a low flat white table. However, most of the steps in this area are similar. 5227 Kansas Av. NW Washington DC

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
OK, I am headed out to a meeting right now, can I get back with you after lunch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure. Basically I need an opinion whether to fix the damage by resurfacing or replace the entire walkway and steps and reinstall the railing. I'd like to minimize cost, but if I spring for replacement make sure it is top qualify and durable.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I would fix the upper stairs since they are sound with only one crack, but I would replace the lower steps since they are cracked an uneven.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions.