StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I live in a 1970s government workers' house in Canberra and

Customer Question

I live in a 1970s government workers' house in Canberra and want to hang a hammock from the walls. I realise you'd place any eye bolts through the middle of the stud in the walls, but is there any danger the walls won't be strong enough?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is definitely a possibility the studs won't be strong enough. A hammock imposes large lateral forces- there is a reason they're usually wrapped around large trees
Do you know anything about the studs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to find out: I've been digging through government housing building archives and can't find anything. I approached the Just Answer website because I wasn't having any success...
The are probably 2x4 utility grade.how high will you anchor into the studs above the floor and how tall are the studs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be putting them in about 180 cms from the floor. When you talk about the studs in the walls, aren't you referring to the wooden frame that goes up before the wall and ceiling are added? That was what I was hoping to fasten the bolts into.
The studs are the 2x4 vertical wood pieces at 16" (or some other spacing) that go from floor to floor.The force in a single stud will be too high for the stud and the connection (unless you provide a through-bolt).
You will need to provide a separate member in the wall specifically to resist the lateral forces for the hammock.
What is the height of the studs between floors?