walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I had a fire in my basement of my house. The main floor is

Customer Question

I had a fire in my basement of my house. The main floor is quite damaged, the company wants to rebuild it. They say they can cut out all the 3/4" sub floor plywood out around the outer walls of the 1st floor and then remove the damaged 2"x10" floor joist, replace the joist add joist blocks around outer walls and put in new 3/4" subfloor and it will be as good as new. I am concerned that doing all this is scabbing it back together and will weaken the structure and it is not being put back as original as it was built any info would be appreciated.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me read your question a bit closer.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any pictures you could share with me? That would be really helpful for me to get an idea of the extent of the fire damage.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you come back online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get some loaded and sent to you. I was going off of a reconstruction quote that I have about removing all the 1st floor flooring and a lot of the joist that go out under the wall and are nailed through the outer plate into the joist where the wall sit with the sub floor running all the way out under the wall. thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Great, I will wait for your pictures.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I am still here to help if you need it.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to get any pictures?
You can attach them to the Chat Window with the paperclip in the toolbar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will get them this weekend been helping a friend out and haven't been to the house
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Sounds Good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I add pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guess I figured it out. But the pictures should not matter if you are an engineer you should be able to tell me if a house is on a foundation and the floor joist run out over the wall and the sub floor goes all the way out and you cut all the sub floor out and remove the joist from under the upper wall does it weaken the structure? in my opinion anytime you cut something apart it weakens it and you can not put it back the way it was.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
As far as replacing your 2x10 floor joists, it can be done one or two at a time after the subfloor is removed. As long as the floor joists are slid in under your wall above and have full bearing, you should be fine.
You need to make sure your supporting wall is in good shape. It is hard to tell if your supporting walls in your pictures are a concrete foundation walls with wood skins or a wood framed walk-out basement wall.
I assume they will be re-wiring as well, since your electrical wire is routed through your existing floor joists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is a wood knee wall. Doesn't it weaken everything if you cut all the sub floor out along the out side walls? The sub floor goes all the way to the outside edge
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
It should not, the floor diaphragm will still act the same as long as the sub floor is nailed properly to the floor joists and the bottom plate of the walls are nailed properly to the floor joists.
You will need to make up the thickness of the sub floor if they are pulling out the section of sub floor directly under the wall bottom plate.
I hope this helps.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.