StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

Anthony Power Beam

What size Anthony Power beam do I need as a floor girder which will span 15' and is in the center of a 30' deep cape cod? It is on the first floor and the floor joists are 2 1/2x 7" overlapping at the existing load bearing wall.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I can help you with this. Can you verify that the joists are 15' on each side of the beam and that it will support two floors? What about an attic?

Before we get started I'd like to point out that a Professional Engineer's standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for informational purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The floor joists are 15' on each side of the load bearing wall and it is only supporting one floor above it and there is not an attic. I am going to get an engineer on site but like you said am just looking to get a rough idea on a price and size of power beam. Thanks!

You can plan for a 5-1/2" x 14" Anthony Power Beam (min Fb = 3000 psi and min E = 2100 ksi). A 3-1/2" x 14" works for strength, but deflection is a little higher than I would like to see for a main beam.

If you've found my answer helpful, please click the green "accept" button. I'll be happy to answer additional questions on the topic. If you could provide feedback, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer