walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 28 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

The main beam in my house is cracked and I need to replace

Customer Question

The main beam in my house is cracked and I need to replace it. The house is aprox 100 yrs old..The existing beam is made out of 3 sistered 2x10's (real 2"). The beam is 42' long with support columns every 6-7'. At aprox the 28' mark is the center of the chimney (existing beam is resting on same). The beam is supporting 2x10 joistsaprox 12'6" long at beam edge. They sit on top of beam on the fly. The house is 2 stories with 9' ceilings. It also has unfinished attic space with 9-12 pitch constructed with2x6's. This is a very large house.
I would like to install a beam with 1 column at aprox 13' from front foundation sit on chimney at aprox 28' mark from front foundation. that leaves a span of aprox 13' to rear foundation.
Steel I beam? Flitch plate? Double flitch plate? Also size of column? The height of the column is aprox 7' depending on beam size. Also what size footing do you suggest? I have tried to give overall view, if more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks,
Nancy
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.

walkereng :

I can help

walkereng :

Let me read the question a little closer

walkereng :

So it sounds like you want to end up with three span that will be approximately 14' each?

walkereng :

So this is the beam in the basement supporting the first floor?

walkereng :

Are the 2x10 joists spanning 12'-6" on each side of your 42' beam?

Customer:

I need to make a correction to a typo. This beam is in the basement. there are three floors and then attic above the basement

walkereng :

I need to know if there are bearing walls that come down on this beam.

Customer:

On the first floor(directly above the beam) the front 16' is open (living room) then there is a load bearing wall to th fear of the house

Customer:

the house is a victorian style with open foyer wrap around stair cases.

walkereng :

Do you know if the load bearing wall comes down on any of the existing columns in the basement

Customer:

This is to the east side of the house and the majority of the room s are on the othe 3 side of the house.

Customer:

The chimney is in the center of the house

Customer:

yes , in the rear 2/3rds of the house

walkereng :

Is there any way you could draw a quick sketch, plan view and elevation view with dimensions? You can attach it with the paperclip. I really need to have more information to be able to size the beams.

Customer:

the deviding wall between the lr and dr start wher the walls "stack"

Customer:

if you can give me a few minutes, I can rough scetch for you. OK?

walkereng :

OK

Customer:

won't be to perfect scale but will be close

walkereng :

That is fine

walkereng :

Also, what area of the country are you located in, so I can look at possible snow load?

Customer:

Queens NY on water so we get all weather situations

walkereng :

I see that you are typing, just wanted to make sure my chat window is not acting up. Have you posted a reply yet?

walkereng :

I seem to be having some trouble with the Chat feature, I am going to switch over to the Q&A format and we can continue with the e-mail process.

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to scan a few drawings. stay with me ok?
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get the two attached drawings? I still have more
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
I do not see any. Did you attach them with the paperclip in the reply window?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes...but let me try againgraphic
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
I do not see anything. What format of file are you attaching? I think JPG files work best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a jpg. I dont get why it isnt working. let me keep trying
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
If you are not able to get the sketch attached. I can size the beam assuming that the existing triple 2x10's work for the 7' span and then I can use that loading to design a 15' maximum span beam, will that work for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes that is helpful but I need to know if I can use one column at approx 13 ft from front foundation, use chimney and rear foundation as supports. What diameter column, should it be cement fillede and what size footing is required for load?

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.

I can give you two options:

5-1/2” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

5-1/2” x 11-7/8” Boise Glulam 24F-V8/DF

These are assuming a 15' maximum span.

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html

You can use a 42”x42”x12” deep concrete footing under your column. Use 5-#6 rebar in each direction and make sure you have 3” of cover/spacing from the soil to the rebar.

You can use a 3 inch diameter Std. Weight Pipe A501 or A53 Grade B for your columns. You mentioned that you feel a bearing wall is near one of you existing columns, so I would make sure you keep a column under that wall.

You will need to have your column connections to your foundations and your beams detailed.

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I really wanted a steel beam. can you give me the size for steel? also if you would kindly give me your email address, I can attach pictures that way if it would help. Question-we are on sand. doesnt a footing have to be 48 inches? I don't understand why you said 12 inches

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
The 48" you talk about is probably your frost depth requirement. Since this is an internal basement footing you should not have to meet the frost depth requirement, but you should check with your local Building Department to make sure on their depth requirement. The 12" is the thickness of the concrete, not the depth tho the bottom of the footing from grade. The site rules do not allow me to contact you with personal e-mail. Sorry about that. I can run a steel beam calculation and will get back to you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
with the steel beam do I need a flitch plate/ double flitch. would you recommend steel versus a lam beam?
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
You can use a W 8x35 steel beam that is 50 ksi steel. It is 8" wide by 8-1/8" deep and it weights 35 pounds per linear foot. All of the beams I have given you will be replacing your existing built up beam. You can call around and find out which beam costs less. Both types will work.
walkereng, Consultant
Experience: Over 28 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time and answers.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
I see that you said you were unsure about dimensions, can I explain something that is unclear?