walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 28 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I need to know what size LVL Beam Ill need to span 13 ft after

I need to know what size LVL Beam I'll need to span 13 ft after I remove a load bearing wall between my living room and my back den (turning both into one great room). I have 3 and 1/2 feet of wall left on one side for support and an abutment... and I have planned for at least 6 in or one foot for the other side although, that may or may not be enough. This wall is on the first floor of a two story New England Traditional with a 3rd floor attic living area and bedroom above, or two stories above this wall and proposed 13 foot (+/_) span. Any advice will be much appreciated!!!
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.

walkereng :

I can help

walkereng :

Let me read the question a little closer

Customer:

ok

Customer:

r u there?

walkereng :

I am still here, one more minute

Customer:

ok

walkereng :

What is the span of the joists on each side of the wall you are removing?

Customer:

Approx 13 feet joists... the house is 26 ft wide... incl both rooms from front to rear....

walkereng :

Is there a wall directly above this wall? Does your roof system/trusses run perpendicular or parallel to your wall?

Customer:

the house is probably 60 feet in length... or approx 26 by 60... rectangular... I have pictures if I can email them to you...

walkereng :

You can attach them to this chat with the paper clip, that would help in visualizing.

Customer:

Yes, there are two bedrooms directly above both rooms... and a wall separating same directly above the one I want to take down (13 feet of it) and replace with the beam... and... an attic above the bedrooms that is living space... (a bedroom above the 2nd floor bedrooms)... so we're really talking about two floors above the wall I want to take out...

walkereng :

How about the trusses?

Customer:

They are not visible as the attic is actually a living area... a bedroom and a great room... sheet rocked, carpet, etc....

walkereng :

I assume the roof ridge runs parallel to this wall?

Customer:

Yes, above it... two floors up...

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

See the picture?

walkereng :

What area of the country are you located in?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Rome, Ga... and yes, it does snow every other year or so... but not too bad... the record in my lifetime was 8 inches...

Customer:

Full Size Image

walkereng :

OK let me run some numbers

Customer:

That's the main bottom floor living room wall we want to take out.. it's actually 17 feet wide.. so like I said... I have four feet of room for support...

Customer:

although I'd like to put one side with 3 and a half feet of support... and only 6 inches to a foot on the other if I can.. if not... I'll deal with it...

Customer:

Ok thanks!!! Joe

Customer:

I have a Family Handyman online article (that you can see if you google it) that says that for a 12 foot span, they recommend 4 ea 2 X 4s nailed together as posts to support the wooden 2 X 12's for their load bearing span.. but that's only 12 feet... and only one floor to support as opposed to my two floors of load...

Customer:

so... if you have any recommendations for the support for the LVL beam... that would be much appreciated as well... otherwise... I'll probably double what they call for and put as many 2 x 4s under that sucker on both ends as I can fit...

walkereng :

I would use 4"x6" posts on each end for support.

Customer:

I can buy 6 by 6 posts, floor jacks, etc... whatever it needs... and as many as it needs...

Customer:

how many? LIke me.. as many as I can fit?

Customer:

So.. you're saying that I can or cannot go with the 6 inches of support on that one side? Or do you recommend a full 12 inches on that side?

walkereng :

You need to make sure the support post will fit in the wall. I am talking about the permanent posts that will support the new 13' span.

Customer:

Only two? One for each side?

Customer:

the 4 X 6 I mean...

Customer:

hey, I'm not arguing with you.. you're the expert... not me.. .I'm grateful for the advice.. I'm just trying to get it all clear...

walkereng :

you can use a 5-1/2" x 11-7/8" Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP beam. This is a Boise Cascade product and you can go the the following website to find local distributors http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/distributors.html

Customer:

I have a 1 and 3/4 in wide by 18 in depth by 31 foot LVL beam in my backyard... if I doubled that up side by side.. would that work also?

walkereng :

Let me look

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Not sure if you can read the writing on that LVL beam... it's left over from the builder's building my father in law's house next door to me from April... it's been left outide... but it still appears to be in good shape...

walkereng :

If you doubled it, it could work. I am concerned about it being left outside and degraded due to exposure

Customer:

yes, I was too... I guess I'll go ahead and buy the new one just to be sure! Thanks Mr. Walker!!!

walkereng :

I would take it or a portion of it to the lumber yard and have them inspect it's condition

walkereng, Consultant
Experience: Over 28 years of Structural Engineering experience.