StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I need to replace rotted floor joists under my house .what

Customer Question

I need to replace rotted floor joists under my house .what is involved and what cost for treated lumber and labor costs thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 years ago.

StructuralEng : Hi
StructuralEng : I can help
Customer: Good
StructuralEng :

It can be time consuming

StructuralEng :

You can remove and replace one joist at a time

StructuralEng :

The cost will depend on how many joists need to be replaced. You can just add the new joists and abandon the existing joists in place

Customer: This in in crawl space
StructuralEng :

If you can't get in from below, you'll need to remove the floor above and replace them all from above, then install floor

Customer: They can get in from below
StructuralEng :

Then you won't have to rip up the floor

StructuralEng :

That will save some money

StructuralEng :

I would abandon the existing joists in place and just add new joists, it will save labor

StructuralEng :

I wouldn't expect this to be terribly expensive, but it will depend on the quantity of lumber to be installed and the conditions to get in the space.

Customer: Are you still there?
StructuralEng :

Yes, did you get my last messages?

StructuralEng :

Then you won't have to rip up the floor

7:32 PM

That will save some money

7:32 PM

7:33 PM

Customer: I needy go out for awhile can you send me an asnwer by email
StructuralEng :

Are you not getting my messages?

StructuralEng :

Then you won't have to rip up the floor

7:32 PM

That will save some money

7:32 PM

7:33 PM

StructuralEng :

The treated lumber is relatively inexpensive. Treated 2x10x12's vary from $12-$16. The labor should be minimal if they have ample work space

StructuralEng :

If you've found my answer helpful, please "accept" it. I'll be happy to answer additional questions on the topic. If you could provide feedback, I would appreciate it.

Customer: I lost. Your r,eply
Customer: What is the cost per foot to replace I have an idea on what you have said so far say I have 90 feet of joists to replace
StructuralEng :

I would estimate about $7 - $10 per foot depending on the working conditions, but it will vary with contractors and with the space they have to work

Customer: I have been quoted 13500 to do the work as they have to. Support the floors first and take out the rotted wood and replace with new joists. It isn a far cry from what you haven said I am now very confused
StructuralEng :

That was why I said you should consider abandoning the existing joists in place and just installing new joists.

StructuralEng :

Unless there is dry rot or wet rot or termites, I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason that the existing joists need to be removed. You can abandon them in-place and not count on them for anything and just install the new joists in between the existing. This will not require supporting the first floor, which I'm sure is the bulk of the estimate you have.

StructuralEng :

90' of joist should NOT be costing you $13,500!

StructuralEng :

Unless the guys are on their stomachs in a 3' crawl space with no lighting and horrible working conditions.

StructuralEng :

If this was helpful to you, please "accept" so I can be paid for my time. If you don't "accept" then I don't get paid.

Customer: Thanks and yes they are in space about 3feet or so and I was in error about the number of fejet it is closer to 200 but the working. Condks. Are ok
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer
Even at 200 ft of joists, the $13,500 sounds very high. I would ask about leaving the existing joists in place and just putting the new joists in. That will save a lot of labor and the shoring costs. That should bring the estimate down dramatically.