Cher
Cher, #1 JustAnswer Spanish Expert/Mentor
Experience:  Spanish Teacher & Tutor 40+ years Experience; Masters Degree Spanish/Education; Translator
1470369

How can I say I TURNED SIXTY YESTERDAY in Spanish

Hello, Claude and welcome to Just Answer!

Here is your translation for "I turned sixty yesterday.": Me cumplí sesenta años, ayer.
You can also put 'ayer' at the front of the sentence: Ayer, me cumplí sesenta años.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit from the site for assisting you. Thank you!

Please rate with positive feedback (smiley face) when you are satisfied with my answer. Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority!

~~If you wish to request me in the future, simply type "For Cher' to begin your post and I will answer asap!~~

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am trying to learn Spanish
with help , but my tutor and I sometimes have difficulty.

Is the following correct ?
Antes de llegar a ser profesor, manejaba un camión para
ganar mucho dinero.

Hello again, Claude and you're most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you with your Spanish.

I would change that sentence in the following way: Antes de llegar a ser profesor, yo manejaba un camión para ganar dinero. (or-- para ganar más dinero)--translation:
Before becoming a teacher, I drove a truck to make money. (or-- to make more money).

Because ''manejaba" can mean I drove or he, she, you (usted) drove, you need to put in your subject pronoun 'yo', unless you were referring to he (él), she (ella) or you (usted). I took the sentence to be written in the 'yo' form.

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am having trouble understanding the use of the passive voice in Spanish. I understand the true passive when the agent is named. I understand the use of "SE ' in such sentences as SE SALVÓ A LA VICTIMA.
What about this sentence ? MI CARTERA FUE ROBADA ANOCHE.
My wallet was stolen last night.

or this sentence. SE ROBÓ MI CARTERA ANOCHE.
Are they both correct ? Please explain why.

Claude

Hi again, Claude and thanks for requesting me to answer your question.

I can understand your confusion. It just takes a little practice.

The passive voice is typically used when a 'subject' is not named. For example: "Se habla español aquí " == Spanish is spoken here. You don't know from this statement WHO speaks Spanish, but it is spoken in that establishment (I'm sure you've seen these signs in store windows).

In your example: "Mi cartera fue robada anoche.", this is not a true passive voice; this is employing a conjugated past form of the 'helping verb' 'ser' followed by the past participle of the verb 'robar', giving you a past perfect tense. However, the past participle can be combined with the verb "ser" to express the passive voice when it is followed by the word 'por', showing who's doing the action. Examples:

La casa fue construida por los carpinteros.
The house was built by the carpenters.

"SE ROBÓ MI CARTERA ANOCHE." implies an agent or person who did the action; it's just not included. It could be translated: 'He stole my wallet last night.'

I hope this helped.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit from the site for assisting you. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher