Cher
Cher, #1 JustAnswer Spanish Expert/Mentor
Experience:  Spanish Teacher & Tutor 40+ years Experience; Masters Degree Spanish/Education; Translator
1470369

Hi. As a Spanish-English translator, I translate many balance

Customer Question

Hi. As a Spanish-English translator, I translate many balance sheets into English. There is a word, "ejercicio" that means "fiscal year" or "financial year". Is a fiscal year the same thing as a financial year? Do I always have to inidicate that a year is either a fiscal or financial year if I have already stated it in a document? In English, I've seen "FY 2010", etc. Is this standard usage? Thanks in advance for your help.
Category: Spanish
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

"Financial year" and "Fiscal year" are synonymous. "Fiscal year" is used predominantly in the U.S., so in your translations of "ejercicio", either term would be correct. In English, "FY 2010" would refer to "Fiscal Year 2010" and is standard usage. You should not have to indicate that a year is either 'financial' or 'fiscal' if you have already stated it previously, in a document.

This should prove helpful:
http://download2.hermes.asb.dk/archive/download/Hermes-38-12-BA-ALL-anmeld-indd.pdf (scroll about halfway down the page)

I hope this helped to clarify the issue for you! Smile

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher