José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I just obtained my non-lucrative residence permit first time

Customer Question

Hello, I just obtained my non-lucrative residence permit for the first time (one year). I bought an apartment in Spain in order to get it. Now I live inside my own apartment. I would like to rent it out by a real estate agency to collect rental income, since my mother also has an apartment in The same city and I can live with her. Question: Will my renting activity be considered lucrative and affect my residence permit renewal next year? (If I rent it out, I will have to register the rental contract and pay taxes) Or non-lucrative only refers to no working/having a business, and rental activity is OK? Thank you.
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, José M spanish atorney

I answer you as you ask ... Will my renting activity be considered lucrative and affect my residence permit renewal next year? No, rent from real state is not ilegal because is not personal income from your job

You could rent even no being resident in Spain

You can no work and renting your propiety is not a job

You have to declare the income from the rent as you have a real state propiety You have to declare all your incomes and if it is the case to pay taxes here.

But you can rent your apartment without problems

Thank you